Monday, June 29, 2009

If They're Scary...Twitter Away

Because I’m new to Twitter, I’ve been thinking about how to grow my following and increase the community among those followers. I decided to start by looking at what leads me to follow or more importantly not follow my fellow tweeters. My basic rule is this: If they look scary, run away! Just like when you were kindergarten. That simple. Sometimes I like to say Twitter away but you get the idea. Read below to see some sure fire ways to ensure that I will NOT follow you on Twitter...
1. Inappropriate picture. I don’t even have to click to see your tweets because it doesn’t matter. Girls in bikini’s or even guys without shirts just indicate to me that you don’t have enough content to warrant my time. Respect us and yourself by having a G rated picture, we both deserve that. The two lesser but still alarming warning signs of a "bad tweeter" is to have some weird non-human picture or no picture at all. Easily remedied here, just have to put the effort out

2. Explicit tweets. If you’re profile picture doesn’t set off enough red flags and I actually look to see some of your tweets but see something like this: “I've got a big @# $ that just needs to be slapped around!” It’s over. And yes, that is honestly the one and only *actual* tweet from someone I blocked after they tried following me. Lends the question, if everyone on Twitter is selling something then what are you peddling? Leave that stuff on Cupid.com or “live chat” websites.

3. Sell, sale, sail! If all your tweets are about whatever you’re selling, whatever you have on sale, or simply location updates of where you’re currently sailing through life, that’s not very interesting. You have to find a balance between giving a 20 on your whereabouts and activities and sharing INTERESTING and non self-serving information. I struggle with this. I wonder sometimes, what interesting information do I have to share with people? I just try to be authentic and share what honestly interests me. Try it.

4. RT or @ syndrome. This could also be known as no original content-itis. I completely understand thinking that someone else’s tweet is really interesting and that you want to share that information while also giving credit to the original sharer, but don’t get gratuitous folks. When I see a tweeter with all @blahblahblah @yaddayadda and so on with no information relayed, it’s almost useless. Occasionally pointing out interesting people that you follow, totally different (I think there’s even a think called following Fridays for that) but keep it within reason. Stay true to yourself and share your own thoughts and content too. Again, find that balance between interesting external content, real life and experience, and authenticity.


These are just few things that I thought of off the top of my head. What attracts or repels you from following someone on Twitter or what are you pet peeves?

2 comments:

  1. Very good Mandy, I couldn't agree with you more. Well put! I actually saw you on someone's RT though and it caught my attention...I 'm glad I did! I already love reading your writing. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Mark. Glad that you found me and thanks for your great comment! Glad that you commented because now I can read your blog. I already took a look and very good stuff. Look forward to reading your writing as well!

    ReplyDelete