Saturday, August 8, 2009

Where you live cannot decide whether you live or whether you die

Yesterday, I saw someone who tweeted that she was going to do something today for the sole purpose of keeping herself "accountable." It turned out that it didn't work out exactly how she thought but it got my wheels turning all the same.

Earlier this week, I posted that I wanted to get a bike. This expense is kind of unnecessary so I haven't been able to justify it to myself...until now! I've decided to use social media to keep myself accountable for something I've wanted to do for awhile but "haven't had time" and this something can help me make the money I need to buy my bike. It's a win-win. So here it is...

I'm opening my Etsy store!!!!!

As some of you know, I dabble in making jewelry. I've been doing it for almost 10 years and I love it but it's an expensive hobby. I've sold pieces and even done some commissioned pieces but I've never been in it for the business. I found this awesome website called Etsy several months ago and kicked around the idea of opening my own store. I even blogged about it here. Well, I finally stopped dragging my feet and took the first steps. The store is live and you can visit it but there aren't any items posted yet. Coming soon, I promise! I'll start with my jewelry designs (earrings, bracelets, necklaces and sets) but hopefully will also branch out into other "top secret" product lines later:)

A little background on the concept for the store. We all know I'm a complete non-profit junkie and in college I got involved with the One Campaign which is a movement to end extreme poverty in Africa and around the world. I was very inspired by Bono, rock legend turned humanitarian, and became very active in that organization. I once heard him give a speech where he said, "Where you live shouldn't determine whether you live or whether you die." His words just struck me and I knew then that this quote would be significant to me. Now, almost four years later, I'm opening an Etsy store whose name comes from that quote.

The plan is, to give 10% of my profits to organizations that help in some way respond to the need brought up by this quote. I also want to have special pieces where 100% of the proceeds go to some of my favorite non-profits that do such important work to ensure that no matter where or in what state of being one lives it does not determine "whether they live or whether they die."

To jump start the launch of my store, I will attempt to sell at least $125 worth of jewelry in the first 2 weeks so I can get my bike!!!! See how this all works together? I chose that number because I need about $100 to buy my bike, $12.50 will go to charity and then the rest is to cover the fees associated with listing on Etsy. I hope that you'll help me reach this goal and have a GREAT GRAND OPENING.

I'll be posting about the entire process from creating designs, listing items and actually selling. My goal "true open" date is NEXT Saturday, August 15th at noon. Be on the look out and keep checking in for updates. Thanks for going on this journey with me and I look forward to seeing where we go!

What endeavors have you made for the sake of passion and art?

No comments:

Post a Comment