Monday, August 3, 2009

Which is Bigger, Multimedia or God?

My Small Group from MTSU Search 2008: Laffy Taffy!!!!

For work tonight, we did a baby shower for a women’s Bible study. They were so much fun! I mean, a totally zany group of funny ladies but really great. It made me wish that I had a group like that and made me realize how much I miss having a place like the Catholic student center in college.

I was there three or four nights a week for Bible study, movie and discussion nights or the occasional party. They were my family even though I’m not Roman Catholic. As with most families, we also had our fights and disagreements too but that was just part of life.

Seeing those women bring snacks, talk about the Beth Moore studies they just finished, and to work together to reach out to a ministry like us was really awesome. I’ve been really discouraged by churches lately. Having to work more closely with them now, I find myself more disappointed than encouraged. Churches are too big and too busy to even talk to people, much less come to a free lunch to hear about what God is doing in lives with so much need right here in our own community. I had a 15 year old guy, he was probably older but looked 15, who worked at a church scoff at me because I said something about a slide show. He quickly told me that their church was “really big into multimedia” and they wouldn’t dream of doing something like a slide show. How about being really big into helping people and sharing God’s love, what happened to that? Don't get me wrong, I love some multi- and social media but let's not loose focus here.

So, it was really good to be with a small group of women who care about their faith and about sharing their love for Christ with hurting people. I’m very glad that I got to be reminded that there are people who care out there and it’s not just impersonal, “multimedia,” mega consumers left. Thanks ladies!

Are you part of a Bible Study, small group, or organization that inspires and encourages you and how do you keep focus?

No comments:

Post a Comment