Thursday, August 6, 2009

Choose Health

I am an extremely busy person. Probably to a fault. My job is very intense, especially right now with an event coming up and lots of mailings about to go out, and I'm involved with a lot of organizations. I also have lots of hobbies like making jewelry and social media (I consider this blog to be one of my new favorite hobbies).

Lately, I've realized that I may actually be too activity driven and have been trying to make choices that respect my energy and health. In other words, I've been trying to give myself some down time so that I don't lose my mind. Last weekend, I planned to go into the office on Saturday because I have a lot of things going on. In fact, I spent 6 hours the Saturday before at the office and have been working about 50 hours a week. It's just one of those times when everything falls and I've taken on some new roles so I'm not complaining about that just giving background.

Saturday morning, I decided not to go. I just needed some time to get things done around the house and just be here. I cleaned, vacuumed, did three loads of laundry, watched some Netflix and hung out with friends. It was great. This week has been extra crazy because of that decision but I think it was the right one.

Tonight, I had to make the same kind of decision. It is the first night that I could actually get home before 8:30 but I had a meeting at 7 for an organization that I care a lot about. I really wanted to be there but I was so exhausted and knew that I just needed to go home. It was hard to choose health in this situation but I know it is the right thing for me. So, before I put on my PJs and watch Confessions of a Shopaholic, I wanted to post some encouragement for you if you're over extended, feeling a little overwhelmed or starting to burn out. Here are some ways to choose health:

1. Take care of yourself. If you run yourself into the ground, you're not going to be able to help anyone. This isn't selfish, just self preserving.

2. Have boundaries. At the end of the day, people can only take what you give. I'm terrible about this but I'm working on it. I acknowledge that it's important and awareness is the first step right?

3.Reward yourself. Whether it's a bubble bath, a movie night, dinner with friends or blogging, reward your hard work with something that you love.

4. Remember who's really in charge. We are not the savior of the universe and sometimes we have to remind ourselves of that. "Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28)."

On that note, I'm going to go rest and be restored!

How can YOU choose health?

No comments:

Post a Comment